Microsoft officially announced that Windows 10 is the next operating system from the family of Windows. There are lots of news regarding the features of Windows 10 like Microsoft Edge, the new web browser and the integration on Cortana, the personal assistant. Microsoft also announced that, Windows 10 would be the last operating system and more enhancements will be released officially later. Windows 10 will also be updated for all laptops, desktops and windows smart mobiles later this year. Now, users of Windows desktop can also upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 operating easily.
If you are the user of Windows 7/8.1, then you are eligible to upgrade it to Windows 10 easily. It is for free of cost and just few steps to upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10. You need to check for updates in your Windows 7/8.1 desktop for Windows 10. Some users of Windows 7/8.1 received the notification to install Windows 10 and if you do not get such notification, then do not worry. You will get it soon. So, all the users who are ready to upgrade Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, this article would be of great help. Now, I will let you know how to upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 in detail. But before jumping in to it, let us know the system requirements to install Windows 10 in our Windows 7/8.1 desktop.
- Check out >> ALL New Features in Windows 10 and Steps to install Windows 10 From ISO File.
System Requirements to Upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10
If you are running Windows 8.1 PC, then you can upgrade it to Windows 10 without any second thought. But, others can have a look at the following system requirements,
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Free hard disk space: 16 GB
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
- A Microsoft account and Internet access
If you are sure that you have these system requirements, then you are good go to with the upgrade of Windows 10.
Note: Before upgrading to Windows 10 it is always advisable to back up your important data. As it is not the final version of Windows 10 and it is only the technical preview, it is always good to back up the data.
Steps to Upgrade Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
STEP 1:First before in order to upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10, you need to sign up for the Windows insider which is easy and is also free. Once you create your account, sign in using the account and head over to this page.
STEP 2: Now, click on “Stare upgrade now” blue colored button. This downloads the “Windows10TechnicalPreview” executable file and double click on it to install it in your Windows 7/8.1 PC.
STEP 3: Once you have installed it, it asks to restart the PC and let it do the PC restart.
STEP 4: After your PC gets restarted, go to Control Panel >> System and Security >> Windows Updates >> Check for Updates.
STEP 5: It shows that your Windows is checking for updates and let it take it’s time to check for the latest updates.
STEP 6: Later, after checking for updates, it shows that Windows 10 Technical Preview is available to install, which we have installed in STEP 2. Click on the “install” button.
STEP 7: Now, it starts downloading the updates and it may take few minutes to get it done completely.
STEP 7: Then, you will be shown the dialog box as whether you want to change your mind or go ahead with the upgrade of Windows 10. If you want to upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10, then click on “Let’s get started”.
STEP 8: Next is it starts installing those updates. It takes some time to install all the downloaded updates.
STEP 9: Once all the updates have been installed, it shows two button as “Schedule upgrade” to schedule the upgrade and “Start your upgrade now”. Click on “Start upgrade now” and your PC will restart and allow it as it is to complete the Windows 10 upgrade process successfully. It may take more than an hour to complete the entire Windows upgrade process.
STEP 10: Now, Windows 10 starts upgrading in your Windows 7/8.1 PC completely.
STEP 11: Once the set up process is complete, then sign in to your Microsoft account and it completes the process of installation. Now, you have installed Windows 10 on your Windows 7/8.1 PC and all your files and programs of Windows 7/8. Are compatible and can run on Windows 10 without any problem.
You can even check for more Windows Updates even after installing Windows 10 and you may find few more updates to install and it is not a mandatory step. Now, you have the Windows 10 installed in your Windows 7/8.1 PC and has access to all it’s wonderful features. These are the steps to upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10.
Features of Windows 10
- Microsoft integrated mobile digital assistant Cortana for Desktop to Windows 10 devices.
- Windows 10 default browser is Spartan Browser and is also called as Microsoft Edge.
- Microsoft Edge has many useful features and will become one of the best browsers at present.
- Now notifications are shown in the taskbar of Windows 10.
- In Windows 10, Settings panel will take the control of Control Panel. It is used to control all your network, display, accounts, Windows Updates, Personalization and more.
- Windows 10 has “Universal apps”. Two latest built-in apps in them are Photos and Maps. You can view all your photos on your PC and in OneDrive.
- Easy to switch from tablet mode to desktop mode and vice-versa.
- Microsoft Edge also has the features like reading mode, annotating the screen and many more features which needs to be used to the maximum extent and you can get more out of it.
- Beta version on Windows Store for desktop apps is also available for Windows 10.
- Microsoft Edge has announced to be the fastest browser for Windows 10 and will be the default browser which replaces al the earlier versions of Internet Explorer.
These are the steps you need to follow to upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10. Follow these steps and get Windows 10 installed in your Windows 7/8.1 PC. All you need o\to do is backup your important data before starting the upgrade of Windows 10. It is always advisable to do so and all your Windows 7/8.1 files and programs will work well with Windows 10. Go ahead and start the upgrade of Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10.
I have reserved my windows 10 free upgrade, Thanks to your tutorial.. Was very helpful